Saturday, July 14, 2012

Zentangle - Negative Space - Scratchboard

negative space
I saw a link on pinterest.com showing a zentangle with the Statue of Liberty. Teaching at a high school close to Seattle, WA I thought this would be a great lesson using pattern, repitition, balance, and line (and more!) I also wanted my beginning Drawing and Design class to create artwork using scratch board (I loved it when I was in high school.)

I first explained how to create zentangles by overlapping shapes and using different widths of lines. 
Then I had them use a compass to make 5 overlapping circles, and in each closed shape they created there own patterns.

Having them radiate there patterns from a central point they first drew there patterns (minimum 5) and then transfer the pattern onto the scratchboard. Finally, they had a cutout of the space needle and scratched it out. If you need rubrics, ppts. I've got them!







                                                                                                            ©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC 
                                                                                       www.janefarr.blogspot.com


It started with some more simplistic patterns



To more advanced play with positive/negative patterns





to some so detailed patterns that it we didn't put in the space needle

PROBLEMS:
I had students start with all patterns then put in the space needle and the large white space of the space needle shows indentation and a bit too much scratching. Many students added white out, but it changed the shiny paper to patches of matte. 

No comments:

Post a Comment